Not an emergency?
24hr Emergency electrical services No callout charges
0800 7311 606
By James Mooney on 29/09/2015
Underfloor heating is seen by many as a luxury. However, did you know it’s a good investment for most homes as well?
Although underfloor heating may not be cheaper than radiators to install. It is eco-friendly, saves money in the long-term and adds to the value of your home.
Below you can discover why underfloor heating is an under-valued feature in many UK homes.
Save Energy and Bring Down Your Costs
Yes underfloor heating can be an investment when you first get it fitted. Especially if your home isn’t a new build and it means taking your floor tiles up. However the average underfloor heating system will use between 15-40% less energy than conventional radiators.
As it spans the whole of your floor, underfloor heating requires less effort to warm your whole room. In contrast, radiators need to work harder to warm your room. Only for most of the hot air from radiators to rise to the ceiling.
A recent study finds that British homes are among the least energy efficient homes in Europe, responsible for 27% of the UK’s total carbon emissions, whilst a lack of central heating can reduce your home’s value by up to 9% (Nationwide Building Society, 2015).
“In Germany, it’s extremely rare to find a home without underfloor heating, and the situation is similar in Scandinavia,” says Ian Mills of the Underfloor Heating Manufacturers Association, when comparing the UK to 2 countries that boast some of the most energy efficient homes in Europe.
Warm and Cosy Tile Floors
Perfect for those cold winter mornings, or cosy nights in.
Many homes find underfloor heating takes time to warm. And longer to cool down afterwards. This makes underfloor heating a smarter investment for busy homes where people are in and out all day long.
Many homeowners find setting a fixed temperature makes more sense. To make sure your home will always be warm.
Give Yourself More Floor Space
Underfloor heating gives you the chance to remove radiators that take up valuable floor space.
If you want to give your home a more high-end finish. And replace the radiators that are getting in the way. Underfloor heating gives you the chance to do this easily.
Radiators have a tendency to build up and attract dust. They can be difficult to clean. And cleaning them can become time consuming very quickly.
Underfloor heating makes cleaning your home quick and easy.
More on Underfloor Heating
If you decide underfloor heating is right for you there are some additional points you should be aware of.
- To fit electric underfloor heating you should always use a part P qualified electrician to connect the wires, with a tiler to lay the flooring.
- You can get underfloor heating fitted in a new build or retrospectively, although you should be aware retrospectively will be more time consuming and expensive as floor tiles will need to be taken up.
Five reasons to choose Mr Electric
- World leading range of energy saving technologies.
- All work carried out is guaranteed to give you peace of mind
- Free no-obligation quotations for every job. We tell you how much a job will cost up front so there are never any nasty surprises
- Fixed pricing policy, no hidden costs and no call out fees. Ever.
- Our highly trained staff can provide comprehensive solutions to any electrical problem, so whatever your electrical need, we will be able to fix the problem.