By Eloise Evans on 17/03/2016

How many of you have ever said, "I burnt my ear on my straighteners this morning,” or"my daughter burnt her new carpet!"  This unfortunately does happen all too often and is something that can potentially cause a lot of damage. 

Around 650,000 fires in the UK are caused by hair straighteners or other electrical beauty products. When you think about the heat that hair straighteners and curling tongs reach, it isn’t surprising that they are the source of so many house fires. With some reaching the temperature of 230° and taking up to 40 minutes to cool down completely, they are understandably a high risk. If these are left on by mistake, it means that you will have 230 degrees heating up your carpet, fabrics lying around, dressing table or even the appliance themselves, causing them to overheat and spark a fire. There are now so many news articles relating to fires caused by straighteners being left on, it’s easy to see that it is something that happens more than it should.

Leading charity, Electrical Safety First, have a new campaign called #PullThePlug, which is being backed by Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service. It urges people to switch off and unplug their electrical beauty devices as soon as they have finished using them. They also advise people to put them on a cool mat, a heat proof surface or in a heat resistant pouch to protect ourselves from the heat they retain when they are cooling down.

From statistics released by The Child Accident Prevention Trust, we can see the amount of under five year olds who have burnt themselves due to hair straighteners has risen by 50% in the last ten years. As a child’s skin can be 15 times thinner than adults, it means that when they touch the hot straighteners, some serious damage can be caused. There is a higher possibility of scarring and the need of a skin graft. The heat can even reach a child’s tendons and leave hands permanently damaged. This is something that needs to be monitored carefully as these types of burns can leave a child with a lifelong disfigurement called contracture, whereby the fingers can be left permanently curled over.

So, you’ve got to be extremely careful when using and heated beauty product. With the danger to children, not to mention burning yourself or your pets, plus the added danger of leaving them on and causing a fire, these are one dangerous thing to use.

Here at Mr. Electric, we don’t just care about your electrics, we also care about your welfare. That’s why we have a few points of advice to help when using an electrical beauty appliance which will help keep you and your loved ones safe:

  • Always use some sort of heat resistant mat to rest on when using it.
  • Always keep any heated product out of reach of children.
  • When in use, keep the device a good distance away from skin so that you are sure not to catch your ear or finger.
  • Once finished, always turn off and unplug any device so you are not leaving your house at risk.
  • Once unplugged, place device in a heat resistant pouch so that it can cool down in a safe place.

If you do seriously burn yourself or anyone else, seek medical attention straight away. If the burn is not serious, run under cold water. For more information on treating burns, follow the link to the NHS website here: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Burns-and-scalds/Pages/Treatment.aspx

 

 

Image Source: Freepik

Post Source: http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/http://www.itv.com/news/

Five reasons to choose Mr Electric

  • World leading range of energy saving technologies.
  • All work carried out is guaranteed to give you peace of mind
  • Free no-obligation quotations for every job. We tell you how much a job will cost up front so there are never any nasty surprises
  • Fixed pricing policy, no hidden costs and no call out fees. Ever.
  • Our highly trained staff can provide comprehensive solutions to any electrical problem, so whatever your electrical need, we will be able to fix the problem.